Location & Facilities
The Cathedral Grammar School is located on a spacious inner-city site right next to Hagley Park and in very close proximity to the Art Gallery, the Museum and to Christ’s College.
A purpose-designed, stand-alone Pre-School, opened in 1996, is complemented by a similarly purpose-designed Girls’ School, opened in 2001.
The 2011 Christchurch earthquakes, which brought about the removal of the oldest building stock, has resulted in new facilities which are in varying stages of planning, development and construction.
We are proud to announce the completion of a major building that now houses all specialist teaching activities of the school. The Specialist Block, built in 1924, is the largest wooden heritage building on our site. The $3.1M redevelopment has transformed this magnificent building into a state-of-the-art Music, Science and Art facility, which includes a performance hall. This building is rated 130% of current building code compliance requirements. Solar panels generate the building's own power requirements and also other parts of the school and, as a 'smart' building, it is technologically wired with both wireless and cable.
2015 sees the construction of the new, purpose built Junior School. This specially crafted, wooden design by renowned Japanese architect Takaharu Tezuka will celebrate its open at the start of the 2016 academic year.
Artificial turf surfaces provide year-round play and teaching areas with upper-body strength playgrounds provided in two areas to suit different ages. Extensive use is also made of the numerous courts and sports playing fields in neighbouring Hagley Park.
The Cathedral Grammar School is conveniently located close to Christchurch's central business district, allowing working parents to more easily drop off and pick-up children, and visit the school on special occasions.